Thursday, August 9, 2012

Revamped T-shirt Tutorial

I recently ran into a situation I knew could be remedied with a simple craft project, and it’s possible that others have found themselves in the same situation so I thought I’d share.  I had a T-shirt with a logo I wanted to keep (I wore it to staff development day at the local library, where I work), but the shirt itself was a bit too large.  So I salvaged my favorite part of the shirt, appliqued it to a new shirt that fit me properly, and used the rest of the too-big, cut-up shirt to make a toy for my dog (if your dog wants one too, here is a video clip of me demonstrating how to make T-shirt dog toys on the local news).  If you’ve ever thought about tossing out a shirt even though you like the design, here’s a little tutorial to help you alter it into something you can use.  

Supplies:
- A shirt featuring a design or logo you like and a shirt that fits you well to sew it onto.
- Iron-on fabric adhesive (I used Heat ‘n Bond, purchased at Hobby Lobby for under $3).
- Sewing needle
- Thread
- Scissors
- Iron and ironing board
- Pencil

Instructions:
1. Select the logo or design you’d like to use on the ill-fitted shirt.  Cut out the desired shape.  I lightly sketched the heart onto the fabric with a pencil before cutting.

Revamped T-shirt Tutorial

2. Trace the fabric shape onto the smooth side of a sheet of iron-on fabric adhesive paper. 

Revamped T-shirt Tutorial
3. Using the traced shape to guide you, cut the iron-on adhesive paper to match your fabric applique.

Revamped T-shirt Tutorial

4. Lay the fabric shape logo-side-down on an ironing board.  Position the adhesive shape on the back of the fabric with the smooth side facing up.  Iron according to the directions on the adhesive packaging.

Revamped T-shirt Tutorial

5. Allow to cool, and remove the paper backing.

Revamped T-shirt Tutorial

6. Now you will need the shirt that fits.  I bought a simple black V-neck at the thrift store for $2, but you might already have one in your closet or wish to buy a new shirt.  Place the shirt on the ironing board and position the applique.  Iron according to the directions on the package.
Revamped T-shirt Tutorial

7. While the shirt is cooling, thread a needle and prepare to add the finishing stitches to your applique.

Revamped T-shirt Tutorial

8. Sew all the way around the edges of the shape.

Revamped T-shirt Tutorial

9. Finish by tying off the thread inside the shirt, and it’s ready to be worn!  It is machine washable too- just turn it inside out before washing.

Revamped T-shirt Tutorial

10. Head to your local library and find a friend to pose with you in your newly revamped T-shirt!  If you're a fellow Tulsan, click here to see a map of all the Tulsa Library branches.

Revamped T-shirt

5 comments:

Pili said...

Thanks for the tutorial, you make it look easy!

And I love the final photo, you are so cute, Holly!

Robin Thomas said...

Gaaaa! You are so adorable!

Love it!

Bonnie said...

This looks so great! It sounds easy enough to try -- I might need to give it a shot.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Unknown said...

that looks so fun! Love the photo of you at the library! :)

JustMe said...

Ah! So cute!!

The library should pay you for that. I'd actually buy that T-shirt.

...But I'd actually buy ALL of your stuff.

PS: And yes, hot tea is a necessity in my life. In the winter I probably drink like 3 cups a day.