Tuesday, June 4, 2013

DIY Felt Mushroom Toy

My two kitties love to keep toys around the house.  Every day, when they get bored while I'm asleep or at work, they drag out their toys and string them all over the house.  I'm not really annoyed by it, because I'm thankful to have happy, playful creatures in my care.  They are catnip fiends, so I recently decided to make a few catnip-stuffed mushroom toys for them to cozy up to.  My logic was that they're going to be left all around the house anyway, so I might as well make something cute.  These hand-stitched mushrooms are made from felt stuffed with polyfill and organic catnip.  I couldn't find a good mushroom template in the size and shape I wanted for this project, so I made my own and decided to share. Keep reading for the template, and to see the moment my cats got to claim their new toys.

Felt Mushroom Toy

You will need:
-Felt in 2 colors (bonus points if you can find polka-dotted felt for the mushroom caps)
-Thread or embroidery floss
-Sewing needle
-Quilter's pins
-Scissors
-Polyfill
-Catnip (optional)

I stitched up a set of these so that each cat could have one, then I decided to tempt them with their new treats...

Hello, Caesar.  I have kitty drugs for you.

Felt Mushroom Toy

My other cat, Isis, quickly appears at the mere mention of a good time.  Fiends, I tell you.

Felt Mushroom Toy

Ooooh this new toy smells niiiiice.  There must be some grade A organic goodness in there.

Felt Mushroom Toy

So they each got their own catnip kitty shroom to cuddle with.  And yes, these little mushrooms have traveled all over my home.  I might find one in the hallway, or one on the couch.  The resident felines approve of their new handmade goodies.  

DIY Felt Mushroom Toy

If you'd like to make your own stuffed mushroom toy, I'll supply you with a template that is ready to print and use right here.  Just uncheck the "fit to page" box in the printer settings so that it will print the actual size you need for a small toy.

Felt Mushroom Template

Pictures of adorable children or animals playing with these little mushrooms are strongly encouraged.  Hope you're having a happy summer!

6 comments:

Pili said...

Those mushrooms are so adorable and so are your kitties!

DancingMooney said...

Those mushrooms turned out so cute Holly, and your kitties are darling too! :) How is that sweet gypsy doing these days? :)

Anonymous said...

What's up, every time i used to check website posts here early in the morning, as i like to gain knowledge of more and more.

Take a look at my weblog; RPMPoker Bonus ()

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial! I haven't done any sort of craft for fun since I was a young child but this has inspired me (for the good of my cat :)).

Anonymous said...

Awww... Love seeing your beautiful cats. Makes me miss my own two that are gone now, Stormy and Jinxy.

katie said...

I am so excited to make these for my cats!
Thanks!