Sunday, July 25, 2010

Clouds and Caterpillars

Good afternoon, friends! The following photos are completely unrelated other than the fact that they all came from my camera, but I thought I'd go ahead and post them together anyway. First, I'll give you a little glimpse at a really wicked storm I encountered while riding with my husband to pick up a movie and some takeout. The clouds were unlike anything I'd ever seen, and I almost had to wonder if the apocalypse was drawing near. In the end, no deities came from the sky- just tons and tons of rain. But it was still very interesting to look at.









Moving on, here are the culprits who have been devastating our herb garden. They completely wiped out our dill before we could stop them, and then moved onto the parsley. My heroic husband tried to pick them off to salvage the plant, but he quickly discovered that they put off an incredibly foul odor when threatened. It was such a raunchy smell- similar to dirty feet or mildew. So please, dear readers, be warned that if you see one of these, admire their vibrant colors from a distance because they smell awful if you disturb them!







They're kinda cute if it weren't for the fact that they're wreaking havoc on my plants and they smell like butt, don't you think?

19 comments:

Pili said...

They're pretty cute in their colours!
But I'll keep in mind to keep my distance from them if I ever see them!
Btw, I added your blog button to mine, finally! =D

alexkeller said...

oooo - creepy lookin' storm! like from a movie or something!
and you have a much better green thumb than i - everything dries up on me because i forget to water

Home Sweet Texoma said...

They look like black swallowtail larvae and by your description of the foul odor, I'm pretty sure thats what youve got feasting on your foods. They make beautiful butterflies and are even the Oklahoma's state butterfly. =]
That storm makes me homesick for Oklahoma.

Audrey said...

Amazing storm photo's! Glad it didn't come up here :)
We have some of those caterpillars too. Don't see to many up here though. They are cute.

apparentlyjessy said...

Wow, that storm looks incredible, as are the photos you took of it!
Cute caterpillars, haven't seen those type here before. We always get furry black and orange ones that eat all our herbs, annoying too, but at least they don't stink!

Briana Shepley said...

Wow, the storm pictures are pretty amazing!

As for the wormy guys, my parents' cabin's porch is INFESTED with them. They didn't bother me until I was in a sea of them! Heeby Jeebies!!!!

Christie Cottage said...

The clouds are awesome!!!

<><

Jenn Milt Art said...

I too love taking pictures of storm clouds.

Those caterpillars are crazy looking, interesting about the smell defense.
Now I know if I ever run into them ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe those clouds! How beautiful, and disturbing... So glad the storm wasn't much more than lots of rain, wow! And I'm sorry to hear those cute little caterpillars are eating all your herbs, argh! too cute though, aren't they? :)

OliveStreetStudio said...

ewwwwww I'm creeped out by the catepillars, but the first cloud shot? That belongs on your wall it is so goooooood!

Thx for the comments on the new biz...that bracelet? I can wrap it 3x as an anklet and either once or twice for different lengrh necklaces....it is fab! Treat yourself!! :-)

Heather said...

wow, those clouds are crazy! Epic weather! And yeah....these caterpillars...they can do some damage! I had a constant battle with the big fat green ones when I grew tomatoes last year. Then after you pick worms off your veggies, they dont seem too appetizing ;) I'm focusing on bell peppers this year and so far, the critters have stayed away!~

Ink Obsession Designs said...

Woah! Those are some crazy looking clouds! We have had some intense storms lately! And I love that little caterpillar! I haven't seen any like that around here.

kristina dutton said...

thanks for swinging by my blog! and for all your wonderful words! haha I work very hard on all the little things i create, so its nice when people enjoy/appreciate them!

You have some awesome photos on here!

Anonymous said...

Those cloud pictures are awesome but very scary looking!

Heather Wilson said...

Those pictures really make me miss southern storms. It rains her a lot but there are no thunderstorms. :( What is the use off rain without the storm? Probably one of the few things I actually miss about Oklahoma.

JUST ME said...

Those cloud pictures are awesome...if not a tad bit frightening.

Also - for some reason? I am inexplicably grossed out by caterpillars. And centipedes. Couldn't tell you why. I'd rather have spiders in my HAIR than a caterpillar anywhere near me.

Jennifer Juniper said...

Those clouds look like some crazy movie special effect!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! The Caterpillars do look awesome, but scary too. & they smell? I'm not a fan of such things, lol.

Bakcocó said...

amazing photos

xx charmediem.blogspot.com