Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dish Gardens

I've got a creation to share with you today that is very special to me, because these happen to be one of my favorite things in the whole world to make. In previous posts, I've shown you how I like to plant succulents in vintage containers. Well I've got a brand new batch for a show I'm doing this weekend, and boy am I proud of them!

Dish Garden

Sometimes I find dishes that are funky enough to truly match the array of interesting plants I use. And there's a lot more to this process than just mindlessly tossing a plant into a new container. I've got a little formula I use, a multi-layer process that will allow these plants to live happily in their dishes for many years.

Dish Garden

Unfortunately, I do not sell them in my online shop because I worry that these lovely plants would get hurt during the shipping process (perhaps I'm a little too protective of them considering there are many people who sell succulents online). The only way to purchase one of these funky little creations from me is to come and see me in person at one of my local shows. As a matter of fact, you can find me at Ida Red this Saturday in Tulsa! You may remember the holiday show I posted about in December at this same venue. It was a blast! So we've decided to have another go- this time with a spring theme.



We'll have all kinds of spring goodies for you to browse, and if you have yet to acquire that perfect Mother's Day present we'll have you covered! I think these little dish gardens would be a perfect gift for your sweet mama. It's a unique twist on the tradition of giving plants and flowers for Mother's Day. If your mom loves gardening, she'll appreciate the unusual shapes and colors of the succulents. If she hates gardening, these are very easy to care for and will allow her to add a touch of nature to her home or office without much effort (a little mist once a week and a sunny window is all they require). I can personally attest to how much they cheer up a room. My husband doesn't like it when I sell them because they are so much fun to have around. ;-)

This show will be consuming most of my Saturday, but I intend to head down to to my hometown to visit with family on Sunday. I'm so excited about spending time with the amazing ladies in my family, showing them how loved and appreciated they are. How will you spend your weekend?

18 comments:

Briana Shepley said...

Those are fantastic! And I love the pictures of them! See you tomorrow!

JUST ME said...

I LOVE it. I want one. From you. I'll pay. Bubble wrap it??


If not, I guess I'll just have to learn how to plant one...but I do so love supporting adorable craft women...:)

Rose said...

They look awesome Holly! I bet they will be very popular and I expect you will sell them all.
My mum loves succulents too and has quite a few.
I like your new purple buttons on your sidebar there! Im still determined to use your instructions to make buttons of my own. Mite take a while but ill get there :)
Goodluck at the markets, looking forward to seeeing pics of your display.

Rose

Claire said...

These look so good!

Pili said...

Getting one of this would be yet another reason for dropping by at least once around a craft show of yours! I'm sure you'll sell out, they truly look like a great Mother's Day gift!

Cabootique said...

Those are so cute! I love succulents, and what you've planted them in makes me want to travel just so I can buy one :) If you ever do start selling them online, I'll definitely be making a purchase.

Laras said...

Awwhh those plants are really cute :3

Audrey said...

What a wonderful idea!! Going to the thrift store next week and getting some containers!

reneek said...

really cute containers

Erin Bradley said...

Those are absolutely GORGEOUS! I love them!

Amy Perrotti said...

I love the vintage cups used as planters! They remind me of my Grandmothers cupboard. :)
Reading this and the last post I would love to be your neighbor, watch you plant and wish it would rub off on me. I know nothing of gardening. It is a void, I'm telling you, a void! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Holly! I am having one of those 'great minds think alike' moments!!

I have always wanted to paint furniture and do the whole shabby-chic thing, but I haven't ever done it for my shop, because of the shipping... and so, the husband and I are considering joining the local Collectors Market that happens once a month here, and since I *just* {I swear I really did} planted Hens & chicks in my garden the other day, I was thinking how cool it would be to make little potted plants to sell at the market too... Probably I will do tulip bulbs in cute containers in the spring, and Christmas cactus in the fall {because I have this obsession with pots you know, haha}, but I totally have a special place in my heart for hens & chicks too...

You are so right, succulent plants are adorable, and so easy to care for too! You go girl! ♥

Anonymous said...

p.s. It's kind of cute to see our lives unfold in similar ways... ♥

Jennifer Juniper said...

These look so great clustered together :)

Edie said...

such an amazing idea. you are truly creative. i would definitely buy half a dozen of them!

best wishes,
edie

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

A dish garden...What a genius concept!

Unknown said...

I love those together -- great succulents and great mugs!

Have a great market!

Lemon Shortbread said...

omigosh those are so cute! I LOVE succulents!! My dad used to collect a massive bunch & cacti as a hobby when I was a kid, guess it rubbed off on me. Wonderful merchandise Holly!