Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Squirrel Station

As most of you have noticed, this summer has been a hot one. I showed you the hanging feeder that I made for my neighborhood squirrels in this post, but what you didn't know is that that's not the only rodent commodity to be found on my balcony.

Ever since I noticed the squirrel scaling my screen door to get to the bird feeder (and yes, there's a post about that too right here), I decided that I would make his life a little easier by leaving him a little bowl of seeds. And it was just so hot outside that I figured since I already had a food bowl out for him, I might as well give him some clean water too. So now I have a complete food and drink station for any squirrel who decides to drop by my place. I hope that they feel right at home when they approach my balcony and see this little setup waiting for them.



They still eat from the hanging feeder, but I think I could venture to say that the seeds are their favorite. It's not at all rare for me to walk into the room and see this on the other side of the glass:



That's actually Mrs. Squirrel, one of the little girls who comes around. She's a little more jumpy than some of the males, so I try to be smooth in my actions while she's out there eating so I don't scare her away.

And as for the indoor pets, I managed to get a decent little photo of myself and the fluffball. He was chillin' in my lap a few days ago while I was at my computer desk. I had my camera sitting right next to my computer, so I decided to turn on the self-timer and see what kind of cute little snapshots I could come up with. Surprisingly, I ended up with a keeper!



Wow, that's not cheesy at all. I pose for family photos with my cat, but I swear I'm not one of THOSE people. Wait, yeah I am. Who am I kidding? I have been known to give my cat a billion nicknames, sing him songs, and tell stories about him to poor, unsuspecting friends and family members. What kind of silly things does your love for animals drive you to do?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you have the happiest squirrels in the neighborhood....the fattest too probably:) It isn't cheesy....love kitties!
KAREN EILEEN

Briana Shepley said...

I don't even have to tell you all of the things I do with my pets...I post all about them! They are my kiddos and my life wouldn't be the same without them :)

Ink Obsession Designs said...

Awww...that is so cute!! :)

Pili said...

Awww, you and the kitty are quite the lookers! What a great shot! ;)

And I'm sure I'd do the same thing with the squirrels, such a great idea!

OliveStreetStudio said...

what a nicey you are to the squirrels....before you know it, they'll move right in! :-) Great shot of you and kitty - def a keeper. :-)

apparentlyjessy said...

Haha, I LOVE your squirrel photos, I think its cause we don't have squirrels here! I think its great you feed them.

Photos with your cats are neeever cheesy, its pure kitty love!
I call my kitties silly names too, and yep, carry on conversations! hehe

Audrey said...

You do know that squirrels can make be wholes and messes around your house right?
They are cute though. Our squirrels are on their own. They'll have lots to eat when I'm finished with the corn in the garden.

Rheea said...

Wow wow wow... soon you will need to make a little bed for the squirrel! haha.

Great photo with your fluffball! Btw, I take cheesy photos with my Nono all the time.

Rheea

Anonymous said...

Kevin and I love to feed the birds and the squirrels, but there aren't any mature trees in this neighborhood, so we planted two babies last year in our yard, and they are slowly getting bigger. It's always fun to see what kinds of birds come by to visit (we do feed them too) but I haven't seen any squirrels here yet. I know they are around, I just think they stay away from our street because there isn't a lot for them to climb and play on.

I keep telling Kevin we need to build a trellis or something in our yard, and put feeders and bird houses on it, so they can come for a visit... heheee...
;)

You are so sweet!

alexkeller said...

that little squirrel is going to be famous

lollywood said...

haha aw trust me.. me and my boyfriend are the epitome of cheesy and we don't even have any pets. everytime we are near a buildabear, we go in looking for new clothes for our bears pop and lolly. i have a rewards card for there and i dont even wanna say how many rewards we've gotten from spending.. haha. last xmas we took them to the square in fayetteville and took pictures of them with all the xmas lights and sent them to my mom. hahaha. you'll meet them at indie emporium. they always are apart of my booth.

Rose said...

Wow! I cant believe how similar your fluffball looks to my kitty! Almost exactly the same. I give my animals nicknames too :)
Mrs Squirrel is SO cute! I wish squirrels lived in my neighbourhood. We have possums apparently, I never seem to spot them though.

Rose

the felt bird said...

hehe!! your so sweet to your squirrels! I constantly cussed at mine since they were eating through my ceiling at my old apt!
I'm totally taking a family holiday photo with dexter in a sweater, I don't care what anyone says :D (haha)

Heather said...

awwww, that's sweet! I bet they tell all their friends about your place ;)
All those cute little squirrels must drive your kitty crazy! So close, but yet so far ;)

Wasted Wishes said...

My heart just died from cuteness. Squirrels = Love.

Stay Tuned said...

You are just adorable!! and so is the fact that you put seeds AND water out for your squirrels!!!!
laura xxoo

Tara said...

Cute squirrel picture! I have a hard time being too mad when the squirrels get to my bird feeder, unless they take it all!

lollywood said...

thanks holly! i was going to say if you were going to be around tulsa on saturday maybe we could meet up, but i don't know what our schedule is gonna be like! we usually just play it by ear- but let me know if you wanted to have lunch or dinner or something!